- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 lemon
- 16 large prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 ½ tbsp peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- 175g small green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 large garlic clove, gently smashed and peeled, plus 1 large galic clove finely chopped
- Fine sea salt
- ½ tsp plus 1/8 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 225g baby spinach
- 1 ½ tbsp coarsely chopped coriander
- 4 tsp roasted, shelled pumpkin seeds
- In a small frying pan, toast the fennel seeds over a medium-low heat for about 3 mins, shaking the pan back and forth over the heat until fragrant and lightly toasted. Transfer to a spice grinder or pestle and mortar and finely grind. Finely zest the lemon into a medium bowl, then add the ground fennel, prawns,1/2 tbsp ginger, 2 tbsp oil and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Place the lentils, the gently smashed garlic clove, a scant ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp turmeric in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by 5cm. Bring the mixture just to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 25-30 mins until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary to keep the lentils covered.
- Drain the lentils and place in a bowl. In a medium non stick frying pan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil over a medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Remove the pan from the hear then stir in the chopped garlic, 1 tbsp ginger, cumin, 1/8 tsp turmeric and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Leave to stand for 1 min, then add the mixture to the lentils and stir to combine. Cover to keep warm.
- Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat. Add the prawns with any oil and spicecs from the bowl, and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook for 2-3 mins, stirring occasionally, until the prawns are opaque and just cooked through. Transfer to a bowl.
- To make the salad, stir together shallot, lemon juice, and salt in a large bowl, and leave to stand for 10 mins. Add the yogurt, oil and a pinch each of black pepper and cayenne pepper, and whisk to combine well. Add the spinach and gently toss to combine.
- Arrange the spinach on 4 serving plates. Top with the warm lentils and prawns. Sprinkle the salads with coriander and pumpkin seeds.