Welcome – if you are reading this and considering whether to dip your toe into the Gloucester Road WI.
Gloucester Road WI is a diverse group of women with some amazing skills and experience. The ages range from 20+ something, right through most of the decades!
We meet at 8pm on the third Tuesday of every month at St Andrews Bowling Club. but are currently meeting online via Zoom since April 2020.
What we get up to
Well, there is more to WI than ‘Jam and Jerusalem’, but of course bake-offs and eating cakes are still very important! At our monthly meetings we cover WI business and then engage in a craft activity or listen to a speaker; these have been very diverse over the few years; from learning about icing cupcakes, arm knitting, Bollywood dancing, engaging very happily in cheese and wine tasting (from local independent shops) and listening to inspiring speakers such as the amazing women adventurers who rowed around the UK and extremely thought-provoking talk on torture…there’ll be something for everyone.
How to become a member
We will take new memberships and renewals in April 2021 (and in April each year from now on) and the fee for year membership is £44.00.
Our WI is very popular and we often have a waiting list, but we can offer membership on a pro-rata basis if we have any spaces left after April – please see below.
All members (new and renewals) will need to fill out a membership form to ensure details are up to date. The process is a little different this year:
1. Please fill out a membership form electronically
2. It’s very important that you include a bank transfer reference in the space provided so we can match your form and payment. (If you don’t do this, you’ll have to go to the back of the queue, sorry!)
3. Transfer your payment to the bank account detailed on the form.
4. Email your form to the address below and title your email with your surname and bank transfer reference.
5. All current members will be guaranteed renewal membership if we receive your details and payment by the 20th April. After this date, we will include your membership request alongside requests from new members.
6. All new members are welcome to submit an application with payment anytime before (and after) the 20th April.
7. All new member applications will be processed on a first come, first served basis. If, in the unlikely event that we’re unable to offer you membership due to lack of spaces, we’ll be in touch to refund your payment as soon as possible.
Date of joining and 2021-22 fees
Between 1 April – 30 June costs £44.00
Between 1 Jul – 30 Sept costs £33.00
Between 1 Oct – 31 Dec costs £22.00
Between 1 Jan – 31 Mar costs £11.00
Women are welcome to try out our WI attending up to 3 times a year before they are required to join. We ask for a £5 donation per meeting.
Find out more about the benefits of being a member
How the membership is used
As a WI we receive a percentage of your 12 month membership, with the remainder going to the wider WI to pay for a variety of services and work nationally.
The income received directly by our group is used for expenses such as hire of meeting rooms, purchase of materials for meetings, speaker fees and any ad hoc member activities that we feel we can support.